Closed ATM View - P21/397
Indigenous Justice Research Program
Show close time for other time zones
The Indigenous Justice Research Program (the Program) is a joint initiative by the Australian Institute of Criminology (AIC), the National Indigenous Australians Agency (NIAA) and the Indigenous Justice Clearinghouse (IJC). The Program has been established to fund academic research relating to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander criminal justice.
The Program will provide funds to undertake applied, policy relevant research that employs robust methods. The research should identify and analyse:
- the nature and drivers of the overrepresentation of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people in the criminal justice and related systems;
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples’ contact with and experience in the criminal justice and related systems;
- policies, programs or other activities that will contribute to a reduction in the overrepresentation of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people in the criminal justice and related systems; and/or
- Indigenous approaches to crime and criminal justice.
The research should include empirical data collection or secondary analysis of existing data. The research can be quantitative, qualitative, or mixed method. The program will not typically fund research that solely involves narrative literature reviews, although systematic reviews and meta-analyses will be considered.
Researchers should apply the principles of Indigenous data sovereignty where possible and take these into account in their responses as appropriate. The principles can be found here.
Research that draws on more than one discipline is also encouraged.
The program is not intended to fund:
- research that predominantly involves overseas travel or is to be conducted predominantly outside Australia;
- applications that primarily seek funding for the purchase of equipment or the conduct of, or participation in, seminars and conferences.
For this Research Program collectively funding will be $750,000 and not per project
Applications must be lodged through AusTender by 3:00pm ACT Local Time, on the 7th of December 2021.
Expected Start Date: 30 June 2022
Expected End Date: 30 June 2024